Monday 18 February 2019

More on "my" pickpocket

This post is an update about my creative writing workshop. As I mentioned on the 9th of February, I have as a homework to write a synopsis for a novel based on some of what I wrote (or rather scribbled) during the workshop, and one of the character that has the most potential is my lady pickpocket. I still don't have a name for her, but I know a bit more about her background after doing some research. As you probably know, one of the most infamous cities in the world for pickpocket crimes actually Paris. I did not fall victim to them during my visits there, but once my wife and I had actually seen some at work, who even tried to rob us (using the gold ring trick, read about it here). So I thought: let's make my pickpocket a Parisian woman, who learned her trade there and left for Montreal when things got a bit more heated for her at home. Montreal means new hunting grounds, maybe less competition, and it is also a land of opportunity in the eyes of many French, so why not the petty criminals among them? I still need to develop her and other characters more and the whole plot is still sketchy at best, but at least my pickpocket is taking a life of her own.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Interesting! You'll be able to work in lots of local Montreal colour!