Tuesday 26 February 2019

Card games and me

Fellow blogger Debra from She Who Seeks is learning bridge and reading about it on her blog made me think of my own troubled report with card games. To sum it up, I generally suck at them and consequently I really don't like playing them either. I don't remember playing bridge, but I do have memory of trying to learn cribbage (or crib as we called it) with a friend (cribbage? How lame is that? Even the name sound dull!) who for some unknown reasons was really into it and being so darn hopeless that we stopped playing altogether. He turned out schizophrenic, which might explain why he thought crib was so the epitome of cool and sophistication. I also remember reading the rules of Canasta, I believe it was at school, and finding the name very dull as well. Then there was solitaire or patience as I knew it, which I quite liked, because it was simple to understand and well, you could play alone. When it comes to cards, what I like the most are the look of the cards themselves, if that makes sense. Jacks, Queens, Kings, Aces, they look quite elegant and sophisticated (unlike a crib board, which is really ugly).

I also vaguely remember playing or at least learning about Blackjack, which is also fairly easy to understand. And there was poker of course, which remains to this day my favourite card game, even though I very rarely play it, have never truly played it (read: I never played for money) and, furthermore I have never been very good at it. I guess not playing for money was either a blessing or it prevented me to be truly motivated and become a decent player. I will try to write a full post about poker in the near future, suffice to say for now that I started enjoying this particular card game all thanks to a certain classic movie where it is heavily featured. As a young teenager I had developed a fascination for The Sting and partially to enjoy the film more I had started learning about poker hands and so on. But I digress. I still cannot find interest in card games. But I still like the look of the cards in a deck.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You and I have opposite tastes, Guillaume! I hate poker and blackjack, but I love cribbage and canasta! However, we do agree on "The Sting" -- one of the best movies ever made!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i have always hated cards and i never play them.