Saturday 25 August 2018

100 years of Leonard Bernstein

Google Doodle told me and I am glad I have been made aware of it: today is Leonard Bernstein's 100th birthday. Well, he would be 100 if he was alive. He is of course the composer of West Side Story. I know his career was far wider than merely creating this musical, which I consider almost an opera, but for me, he will always be the composer of West Side Story, the only musical I truly consider great. It's the only one I truly love. Not so much for the lyrics than for the music. Without it, it would be just another attempt to modernize Romeo and Juliet. Anyway, I thought I would share one song here to celebrate Bernstein.

2 comments:

Rain said...

I remember watching that musical on television as a kid and I was devastating by the ending!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

He was a force to be reckoned with, alright.