Thursday 7 June 2018

A medieval tournament

This picture is more than twenty years old and was taken at Visby in Sweden, during their medieval festival. There was, among other special event, a tournament, with knights fighting and various feats. It felt so very authentic, as if we were back in time. I am now a medievalist, I actually study tourneys as part of my thesis, so if I was to go to the festival of Visby again, I would probably watch it with more critical eyes, at least for a moment. Nevertheless, I would really want to see it again. I think I get caught in the game, so to speak, and forget my reservations.

1 comment:

Nellie said...

There is a medieval festival in a small town not too far away from us; held on three May weekends. We went to one a few years ago that was in another site and enjoyed it!

Hope all is well in your part of the world!