Tuesday 23 May 2017

And now Manchester...

I am sick and tired of this! I hesitated before writing about it, I wanted to avoid clichés, commonplaces, the avalanche of empty words you probably all heard and read. But this is Manchester we are talking about and Manchester has a special place in my heart. I have only been to the city a few times, but for me it is a place of pilgrimage. My favourite writer is from Manchester. So are many English actors I admire. Some of my favourite TV series are set in Manchester. Intellectually and culturally, Manchester is for me the epitome of what is right and good about England. And there are the people. Northern, warm, friendly like they are up there. I am a Northerner from another shore, so I always felt a certain kinship with Mancunians. I have made friends with many of them through the years. And now Manchester, like many cities in the West, has fallen victim of Islamism. You know the excuses you will hear: Western decadence, the carefree appetites for life of the Brits, in this particular case young girls and teenage girls committing the unforgivable sin of going to a pop concert in a desegregated society. So to Hell with the sick, twisted pig who did this cowardly act of devotion. There is nothing else I can do but to say that I stand with all my heart with my Northern friends. This may not bring anyone solace, but if you were attacked, it is also because you are an admirable, lovable lot.

5 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

now they are attacking little girls. how much worse can it be?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, another terrible incident. Although ISIS has claimed responsibility, I bet you anything it will turn out to have been just another crazy lone wolf. However, that does not detract from the tragedy.

Nellie said...

So very sorry for this senseless attack! Sending caring thoughts to all those affected!

Prof Solitaire said...

Bien dit.

Magic Love Crow said...

I am so sorry!! Standing with you!