Wednesday 17 May 2017

Crowmarsh

There is something I love about England and it is the many great names one can find in the smallest places. You know how much I love the town of Wallingford. Well, I now discovered that the village opposite Wallingford, on the other side of the River Thames, is called Crowmarsh Gifford, or Crowmarsh for short. Now that is a name! Very much like Crowthorne, which I love a lot. it has crow, the dark and bird of bad omen, and it has marsh, a menacing and dangerous place, full of muddy water and eerie creatures. The name itself is very menacing and evocative. It belongs to a scary story or a D&Dr setting. Again, like Crowthorne. And just like Crowthorne, I have been through Crowmarsh a number of times without even stopping there. And until yesterday, I did not even know its name. Now I intend to correct this one day and visit the village.

2 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

oh i love both of those names too!

Magic Love Crow said...

So cool! I love both names!!!