Monday 29 February 2016

A White Easter?

For those who want to comment on the leap year, please see this post (in French). Now I want to blog about this surprising bit of news, that the UK might have a white Easter, as they are forecasting sub-zero temperatures. At first I took this with a huge grain of salt: they were forecasting the coldest winter in years, we had the mildest Christmas I ever lived in England. Then I remembered that old French saying: "Noël au balcon, Pâques au tison." Freely translated it means: Christmas on the balcony, Easter by the fireplace. And then I remembered a couple of Easters spent trying to keep warm by the fireplace. And given the current temperatures, it would not be surprising in the least, since Easter is less than a month away this year. I suspect that there will be no snow, but it will be a cold one. (For the picture, I took it in Derbyshire in the home of friends of my wife. It was not around Easter, but I thought it would give this post a bit of atmosphere. Sadly we will have no fireplace to warm our bones this Easter if it is cold.)

No comments: