Wednesday 6 July 2011

Art, artists and Oscar Wilde

"From the point of view of the form, the type of all the arts is the art of the musician. From the point of view of feeling, the actor's craft is the type."

The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde

This is from the much quoted Preface. Well, of course. I love Oscar Wilde's one and only novel. It is one of my favourite books. I could write pages and pages, posts and posts about the novel, I usually quote him from time to time, finding it difficult to write much about the whole book now (I did write an essay about it back when I was doing my degree, I got a really good mark). I find this particular quote very close to my own situation as a wannabe artist: I never managed to be a professional musician and I think it is because I lacked the discipline and the rigour. I never went very far as an opera singer either, even though I love to sing opera. I envy opera singers more than I envy other artists, I feel that they have something that I failed to gain. However, while I am far from an accomplished actor, I do find acting easier. I think it is because it is more instinctive as a craft. I envy actors too, but I don't feel the same distance between them and me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the greatest accomplishment of any artist, I feel should be added, is that they have the courage to reveal a part of themselves that would otherwise remain hidden, and in being revealed opens them to criticism. Whether it is in song, writing, painting, poetry or acting, as a proffessional or as an amateur, the artist makes him or herself vulnerable. That takes immense courage.

Cynthia said...

Oscar Wilde is probably the greatest author that has ever lived!