Thursday 5 October 2023

The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

For today's countdown to Halloween's reading suggestion, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, by Robert Louis Stevenson. I blogged about it in 2021, I wanted to revisit it properly this year. Every Halloween, I try to read one horror classic, so this year I reread that one. It was the first horror novel I ever read. What's to discover of the story, after the numerous adaptations and a plot twist everyone knows? Well, everything. Jekyll is a morally ambiguous character, for one, and a bit of an hypocrite. His alter ego Hyde is not physically deformed monster but a dwarfish evil man, whose appearance is uncanny and unsettling, but is mostly left to the imagination of the reader. The same goes with the bulk of Hyde's crimes, implied but never depicted, save for a savage murder. And finally, the plot unfolds like crime fiction. Even knowing that Jekyll and Hyde are the same person, the resolution remains shocking.