Sunday 8 August 2021

A crash course in rugby

Yesterday, during our first family gathering for the first time since the pandemic (and before), I had the priviledge to receive my first ever crash course in rugby since I have been living in this country. My father-in-law is South African, thus his son, my wife's brother, is half South African, and they are both rugby fans. For them, rugby is serious business. As there was a game between South Africa and Britain, they of course decided to watch it. Both, of course, support the Springboks. It makes sense that Wolfie and I do too (to my wife's dismay, she remains, in this sport and others, loyal to England). I cannot say that I remembered all the terminology and would understand all the rules, but I could sort of  follow yesterday's game between the Springboks and the Lions. I didn't watch it all as we had to go, but it was really entertaining. I wish I had tried to watch rugby years ago, because this was exciting to watch and, as brutal as it was, kind of elegant. I'm really glad Wolfie has some South African blood and has access to this culture through his mother's family. Oh and in the end the Springboks won. Go Bokke!

1 comment:

Rachel Lucas said...

My Dad was also a South African...and he actually played rugby for England (3 times!) We always supported England - I guess because it was his chosen country to live in and then he naturalised anyway. Always happy to watch a good game x