Saturday 25 January 2020

Mozartian crimes

Tomorrow is the 230th anniversary of the premiere of Cosi fan tutte. Maybe Mozart's best opera, certainly his most cynical. I will properly celebrate tomorrow of course, and the next day is Mozart's birthday, so another excuse to blog about it and share my love for the music. It may be a coincidence, but I am reading at the moment... Cosi Fan Tutti, by (British) crim writer Michael Dibdin. I found this novel at total random, saww the title and knew I had to have it. So far so good, although I find ti a bit light for my liking. I quite enjoy, if nothing else, the connections with Mozart: like the opera, the novel is set in Naples and the B plot involves a similar scheme of fooling two people into cheating. The difference is that the victims of this scheme are two Neapolitan thugs instead of two ladies, hence the gender switch in the title, tutti instead of tutte.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

And is there any play on "cosa nostra"? Sounds like a good book.