Monday 13 January 2020

An old anecdote about the Isle of Man

Here is an anecdote from a fairly long time ago, told by my mother-in-law yesterday. It is about her father and mother, so my wife's grandparents, when they traveled to the Isle of Man in their youth. It was when they were married, but before they had children. Ity happened sometimes after World War II and I think their years of war partially inspired it. They were taking the boat and the future grandfather said: "Don't worry dear, it is only a short journey, thirty minutes at the most." Future grandmother said: "Oh, are you sure we should not bring emergency rations?" Which apparently made him laugh so much that he repeated it to his children years later and it became a family's running gag. I thought it was so funny myself that it deserved to be shared here, as a "new" great unknown line.