Friday 23 November 2012

The Best Sandwich in America (?)

This is a post about guilty pleasures. Tonight I watched an utterly stupid TV program, an d I am actually enjoying it. It is called Adam Richman's Best Sandwich in America. With Adam Richman. I know zilch about the guy. I usually hate, hate, HATE that kind of television program. I mean it is really stupid: a contest with different sandwiches from different places in the US. How braindead is that? That said, I do LOVE sandwiches, I am a real sucker for them. And the episode that caught my attention and made me watch it as if it was a high standard BBC documentary was set in Baltimore and Washington D.C. I visited neither place, however Baltimore was immortalised of course in The Wire and Washington in the novels of George Pelecanos. Who also wrote on the aforementioned Wire. And both Pelecanos's novels and the TV series describe the cultural aspects of both cities, including the food they eat. The contender from Baltimore was a crab sandwich, made in a diner I think I saw in The Wire, the contender from Washington D.C. was a club sandwich made by a French chef.

The club sandwich won, and however intrigued I was by the crab sandwich I agreed with Richman about the club sandwich. I love club sandwich, how "classic" a sandwich it is, this one had an originality to it. It had avocado and a fried egg. My mouth was watering just watching it. I am a bit of a connoisseur when it comes to club sandwiches, I have tried them all around, in greasy spoons in Montreal and here in the UK (I know where to find decent ones and even one excellent open club sandwich). And this one was standing out from all the ones I remembered seeing or tasting. You can find more about it here. I will not watch more of the show, however I love sandwiches. I can eat plenty of junk, but junk TV I watch it at small doses. But this episode, just like a good club sandwich, was a guilty pleasure. And I know where to eat if I ever go to Washington D.C.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Everyone deserves a guilty pleasure now and then.

suzanne said...

I must confess to being a sucker for some of those "best food" shows, especially those with a holiday theme as Christmas approaches. Not so much to see which is "best" but to get ideas for my own culinary creations. They're hard to resist sometimes :O)

Guillaume said...

@Debra-Thanks, I feel less guilty already.
@Halloween Spirit-Maybe I should look at them like this. I am a lazy cook, that's the problem.