Wednesday 17 July 2024

Army clothes?

Nobody can tell me I'm a fashion victim: I wear shirts and jumpers I have been wearing for the last twenty years or so. I love old clothes, I find them more comfortable, for one, I also think if I wore them for so long, it's because I like the look of them and if it ain't broke, why fix it. Although, and that's the issue, they do break. And they get unwearable. So I need to change them from time to time. Recently, I have been pondering about a way to avoid this: why not buy some of my clothes from the army surplus? Or maybe one of the companies that sell military quality clothes. I am not a militarist, by any stretch of the imagination. But I love wearing green (something I share with Wolfie): olive green and forest green, particularly. And Wolfie is quite fond of green cammo clothes, for whatever reason. I think he likes using them in our War Games. I don't like cammo clothes and would not wear them, but I would wear "military green" clothes. But more to the point: army clothes are solid and durable. And it seems that even my sedentary life is hard on what I wear. Incidentally, my brother PJ reminded me in a recent conversation of a "colonel shirt" we had as a kid. It was a light, yellowish shirt with stripes, like somehting an officer would wear during a desert campaign. I wore it first. When I outgrew it, he wore it. It became a staple of many of our make belief games. Anyway, I have been thinking about it recently. Anyone here buys from army surplus?

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Are Army Surplus stores common in England? They aren't here in Canada anymore.