Saturday 13 July 2024

Stratego

If reading this post sounds familiar to you, it is because I wrote on the same topic in French back in January. Has anyone among you my reader(s) ever played Stratego? It is a strategy board game akin to chess, with two armies fighting. I used to love it as a kid, albeit we rarely played properly. We first discovered Stratego at a friend's place. I think the main appeal it had, like many other board games I grew fond of, was the dramatic, even role playing elements of the game. The pieces were ranks and functions one would find in an army (or weaponry, as it also had bombs), the board was a battlefield with two lakes to create hazards, it just fed my imagination somehow. It had an atmosphere chess never had. We didn't play Stratego enough, my brothers and I got it at the tale end of our childhood (tale end of my childhood anyway), but maybe now is the time to revisit it.

No comments: