Tuesday 25 October 2022

A Book of Horror Stories and its Cover

Yesterday, I finished Frankie Abbott's Great Big Book of Horror Stories. Generally, that means I would recommend it for one of your spooky reads, but I am only doing it with caution. In fact, I am not certain that I can recommend it, in all honesty. Not that the stories are bad: they should give you a few chills and maybe a few laughs too, as he is not devoid of dark humour. The problem lies elsewhere: its cover. Because yes, the cover lies. Not a single one of these stories is set during or around Halloween, the holiday is not even referred to and there is no Jack O'Lantern or pumpkin. This got me disappointed. With thirtheen stories and 123 pages, it's not eactly a big book, but I'll let it slide. I bought it for the cover. My mistake. If you read it, I recommend that you read it near the beginning of your countdown. Which is end of July for me. Anyway, for the days left, I will reread old tried and true Halloween stories. I should share a few here.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

He's a toothy jack!

Caffeinated Joe said...

That is definitely misleading, to sell copies I am sure.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

great jol!