Sunday 22 September 2019

Hobbit Day

Today is Hobbit Day, the day fans of J.R.R. Tolkien celebrate his work. Why the 22nd of September? Because it is the date of the birthday of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins. It kind of make sense that their birthday is on the 22nd of September: autumnal equinox, time for change, call for adventure. How would you observe Hobbit Day? I guess most would read The Lord of The Rings, particularly the chapters surrounding Bilbo's birthday. Here I mark it with an illustration of Alan Lee: Frodo (or is it Bilbo? I do think it's Frodo) discussing with Gandalf. But if I could, I'd spend the day with my brothers playing a game of Dungeons & Dragons, set in a halfling village. Like for many people, Tolkien's world brought us to D&Dr and it inspired us a lot, so it would make perfect sense.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Happy Hobbit Day! I think that's Bilbo. Just a feeling.