Wednesday 18 September 2019

Cadenhead's whisky

As I mentioned yesterday, we are back from a stay with the oldest friend of my wife and her family. They live in Derbyshire, where my wife and her friend grew up. On our first night, as our wives were putting the kids to bed, the husband offered me Candenhead's whisky as night cap. I hesitated at first: we had been through a long journey and I had already had taken alcohol at suppertime. Then it was a fourteen years old single malt whisky and, while I am no expert in spirits, I know it could only mean that it is good stuff, so I had a glass. Straight. And it was indeed very tasty, although pure fire. I believe it is 54.9% alcohol, just to give you an idea. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Did I regret it? No, even though it did gave me a headache and a dry mouth afterwards.