Monday 23 October 2017

Witches, witchcraft and a good deed


Tonight's countdown to Halloween post is again about witches and witchcraft. This picture was taken from The Book of the Year 1980something. Back before the internet, it was how I learned a lot of things about the world and folklore: through this yearly review. There was always a section about myths, legends, folklore and other stuff, which fascinated me. This image was taken from that section, it represents the three witches from The Scottish Play, with a bit of artistic license: the black cat and huge mushrooms often associated with these characters. I asked my dad to send me pictures of these images for Halloween, not knowing how I would use them. I just find them really gorgeous and atmospheric.

Well, the inspiration for this post and the excuse to share this gorgeous picture came yesterday. We received the visit of little Wolfie's uncle (my wife's brother), aunt (his wife), but not his cousin 9their daughter/our niece). Cousin, who is now a teenager of 17 years, was busy writing an essay on... witchcraft and witches through the ages and culture. Once of these things that should be for undergrads, not teenagers. Well, as my brother-in-law was lamenting that he was desperate to find a book for her with first-hand accounts, The Penguin Book of Witches, I merely...took the book off our bookshelves. He was flabbergasted, saying he had looked for it everywhere and that he was getting desperate. He said: "I am an atheist, but this nothing short of a miracle." I answered: "Actually, I made a deal with the Devil to get my hand on it." Which is not true, but a new great unknown line all the same. In fact, I bought it to complete my list of Halloween books, planning to read it next year. I am glad I did not make it part of this year's Halloween reads, because now it is in the hands of our niece. This was my good deed of the day.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What a great story! It will pass into Family Legend, I'm sure!