Monday 20 July 2015

Shark Attack!

Here is a bit of news coming from South Africa, which you probably heard about already, because it is this kind of news. It fascinated me, as such news always do: a surfer narrowly escaped a shark attack in South Africa. Tragedy was averted, but this is nevertheless dramatic news and dwell into our most primal fears. I don't want to make fun of an event that could have ended up with the death of a man, but seeing the fins moving towards the surfer and the attack was breathtaking, because it was so genuine. It is kind of fitting that it happens in the same year Jaws is celebrating his 40th anniversary. Every time there is a shark attack, people mention the movie, I guess I just wrote something very banal here. But I consider real life events regarding sharks and documentaries about them far more interesting than any work of fiction, however entertaining. I have to confess, I find sharks as fascinating as they are scary.

3 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

the video of this attack is the scariest thing i have ever seen. he is one lucky guy!

Anonymous said...

He sure is lucky to be alive!! That was on our local news this evening,,amazing!

Craig said...

He was so fortunate. This is why I like to swim in a pool, not the sea. I can see what's in the water with me!