Sunday 19 June 2011

In the mood for some cosmic horror

The geeks among you probably know what I am referring to in the title. I read this post on the Atheist Experience's blog, and it just got me in the mood for some Call of Cthulhu game. While Dungeons & Dragons has always been our favourite role playing game and the one we played the most, Call of Cthulhu had a special place in my heart (and I hope, theirs).As I mentioned before, it was our "end of summer game". In fact, it was mainly or "rainy day" game, we played it from May until August, usually when my brother was not inspired enough for D&Dr. I was the Game Master for Cthulhu, a pretty good one I think. I could create interesting atmosphere and characters, in an universe that was like our own (which is challenging in itself). And it was set in the 1920s, so there were an historical background and elements of crime fiction thrown in which made it all the more interesting.

And well, I don't know, I wouldn't mind a game or two.

3 comments:

PJ said...

Je l'ai dit et je le répète, l'univers de Lovecraft est idéal pour un jeu de rôles, parce contrairement à tous ces autres mondes littéraires ou cinématographiques, il n'y a pas une histoire avec un héros (ou un petit groupe de) et un méchant. Même les mondes de Donjon tout faits ont plus de contraintes que ça. Dans L'Appel de Cthulhu, on est vraiment libre d'y aller avec notre imagination.

Anonymous said...

Gosh and to think that the most thrilling game we ever played was Monoply:-) This game sounds fascinating. But I am not even going to try and spell it, never mind pronounce it...

Guillaume said...

@PJ-C,est un univers qui se prête vraiment bien aux jeux de rôles pour les raisons que tu mentionnes, mais aussi parce qu'il remplit des fonctions que D&Dr ne peut pas remplir: on ne peut pas faire de l'horreur dans un univers fantastique, il faut que ça existe dans un univers qui ressemble au nôtre.
@Anonymous-Oh it is different than Monopoly! You should try and play it.