Tuesday 14 June 2011

A £3000 dress at a charity event

I learned this reading the Metro this morning, from an outraged reader: Kate Middleton wore a £3000 dress at that charity event I mentioned here. £3000 for a dress. At a charity event. Only in a monarchy. I am glad at least one person in this country is outraged. When I said that the medias here are a bunch of pathetic suck ups this illustrates it perfectly. Charity is for the royals the activity they do between two cocktails, or during cocktails. There is nothing even remotely generous about preaching for a good cause in a designer dress.

6 comments:

Cynthia said...

Maybe it was given to her?

PJ said...

Dès que je retourne à la maison, il faut que je retrouve ce gag de Mafalda avec Susanita à propos des soupers bénéfices de charité pour nourrir les pauvres avec les trucs dégueulasses qu'ils mangent. Quino a un humour intemporel et une perception très juste de l'humanité.

Anonymous said...

It would have been better if they had auctioned off the dress for the charity. Just revolting really, I have to agree.

Guillaume said...

@Yes, we taxpayers most likely paid her that gift. In any case, something more sober should have been in order.
@PJ-Je me rappelle vaguement de ce gag. Il me faut relire Mafalda.
@Anonymous-But then she wouldn't be wearing it...;-)

A Heron's View said...

Do not be outraged, though I do understand why.

That dress will be copied thousands of times and made in a cheaper material. The royals & celebrities pay the true price and in doing so generate the clothing industry that provides incomes for many, many people.

Guillaume said...

@A Heron's View-Thank you for commenting on my blog. I don't think it will change a thing about clothing industry. People have to wear afordable clothes, whatever members of the royal family wear. They could at least show some sobriety when they show up in a charity event.