Sunday 5 June 2011

More old papers

Today I found out of total chance some old papers in the back of a drawer (what in the world was it doing there?), back from my days in Liverpool. It happens sometimes. This time there was no notes, simply papers about a symposium on Anthony Burgess, with the contact details of the other "converts" I met there/then, people I sadly lost contact with. There were also some letters from my publisher (strange word really) before my book was published, papers from my then brand new employer, photocopies of emails, etc.

Most of the things I found there I couldn't care less about, although it did bring back fond memories (and made me miss Liverpool, as it usually does). But I had been looking for the papers on the Anthony Burgess symposium for ages. I had wanted to email those people for almost four years now. Now it is a bit late to drop them a line. It is difficult to keep in touch, especially with people that even though we share the same interest, were never really friends. That said, it means that I have more old papers that I will have to keep. Maybe as a souvenir of an academic past (I am vain enough to still get excited when I see the "Dr" before my name), mostly because I really enjoyed those few days. I am sentimental like this when it comes to old papers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah papers... I have recently begun to unpack boxes I havent looked inside for years. Embarressing first attempts at songwriting, a journal with about four entries that I began, determined to stick with and a whole lot of odds and ends I can't bring myself to throw away. It's a love/hate relationship that I have with papers. But it is such fun to look through them again isn't it Dr:-)