Tuesday 25 April 2023

About umbrellas

There is something you probably don't know about me: I don't like umbrellas much. I find them cumbersome. When it rains, I rather have a good coat with a reliable hood and keep my hands free. But anyway, long story short it was raining a lot yesterday afternoon. So when we went to pick up Wolfie from school, a lot of parents held umbrellas. We talked to the mother of one of Wolfie's friends and she was telling us that she used to have a very fancy umbrella that her son destroyed, using it as a parachute while he played in a trampoline. I don't know the details, but that's the gist of it. And since then, she only bought and used cheap umbrellas. I told her: "Well, if it is any consolation, umbrellas never last long in this country anyway." Which is a new great unknown line, I think. It is also absolutely true: the last one I had here got rusty after a year.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Forty years ago, I bought two expensive "Tote" brand umbrellas at the Hudson's Bay store in Winnipeg -- a black one for use at work and a coloured, patterned one for casual use. They came with a lifetime warranty and are still as good today as they were when I bought them. But because they are full-size, traditional umbrellas, they're no good for travel. So I've also bought several travel umbrellas over the years, all of which were, without excerption, pieces of crap that didn't last long.

Alison said...

Umbrellas aren't practical for me when it comes to the twice daily dog walk. I like to have both hands free to keep Madam in line. Having said that, when I do carry an umbrella, I go for the more expensive travel size with the wind-proof canopy that doesn't flip inside out. Totes is a great brand for gloves and slippers too. I get all my leather gloves from them.