Tuesday 1 February 2022

NIHL Hockey?

I have learned recently, by chance, of a number of ice hockey teams playing in England, all members of the NIHL, the National Ice Hockey League. Like the NHL at home, except the English must specify it is ice hockey to distinguish it from, well, the other sort of hockey that is not truly hockey and is played on a lawn. English are weird like this sometimes, they just don't know what is proper hockey. So yes, some of these teams have arenas not so far. And I was thinking that maybe, just maybe, since the Habs are being absolutely terrible this year and I have a son to raise following proper Québec traditions, I should start getting interested about local hockey teams. Maybe follow what's happening here, maybe even support a local team. It's not the same as hockey back home, but it's still the sport I enjoy the most. I could even do some evangelising. I know some relatives of my wife enjoy a game from time to time. So anyway, it could be an interesting project for this year.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

YES, that would be exciting for both you and Wolfie! And those crazy Brits, having to specify "ice hockey" all the time. Sheesh.

Yeah, the Mighty Habs are so low these days that even Edmonton (which is itself otherwise deep, deep in the toilet) kicked their ass last game they played.