Wednesday 30 August 2017

Mary Shelley and her monstrous offspring

I had to mention this important birthday: today is the birthday of Mary Shelley, the author of Frankenstein. She would have been 220 today. I need to re-read her most famous novel one day, maybe in my list of works for my countdown to Halloween. For now, I wanted first to celebrate a great British mind, daughter of a great British mind, mother of a great myth. At 19, this was no small feat. I took a picture of this book last year at the local bookshop, but did not buy it, although I considered it, as a gift to one of the Ticklers or my son. That her monstrous offspring, as she called the monster, and his creator have been so popular through two centuries to be nowadays central to the imagery of Halloween and that children book adaptations of the original work are published today shows how much she accomplished in a single novel. So happy birthday Mary Shelley.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.