Sunday 20 August 2017

The birthday of cosmic horror

I try as much as I can to blog it every year, glad I did not forget this year: today is the birthday of H.P. Lovecraft. It is an important date for everyone into horror, as Lovecraft was one of the fathers of modern horror and created a sub-genre of its own: the cosmic horror. I now read mainly far older and old(er) fashioned stuff than his kind of work, nevertheless I have a fondness for his work and always make sure I revisit it to a degree in the weeks before Halloween. During the officious (i.e. now) and official countdown to Halloween, one must read and celebrate this true master. If I could, I'd play a game of Call of Cthulhu. I used to be Dungon Master, errr... I mean Arcane Guardian or whatever it was called that was basically a DM and I was quite good at it. But the best way to celebrate is of course to read Lovecraft. He has had many followers, but none managed to equal or even truly emulate him.

No comments: