Friday 11 May 2012

Art crowds

I am officially fed up blogging about Friday treats. They just are so repetitive, they ended up boring me. So anyway, tonight I went to this art exhibition of Fabian Perez, where the artist was. Lovely paintings, as expected, but it was so darn crowded. I saw the artist, but did not speak to him. I didn't want to look like a groupie. I didn't buy a painting either (surprise). It lasted an hour, but it made me discover something: I don't like art crowds. Being there reminded me of a quote from The Picture of Dorian Gray:

"You must certainly send it next year to the Grosvenor. The Academy is too large and too vulgar. Whenever I have gone there, there have been either so many people that I have not been able to see the pictures, which was dreadful, or so many pictures that I have not been able to see the people, which was worse."

I guess there were plenty of people to see, but in the end they remained invisible, hidden by the crowd they were a part of. The paintings looked more alive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have told the artist that you enjoyed his work and asked when the half price sale started:-D
But seriously I don't that an artist ever hears enought praise, and I bet he would have enjoyed talking to you about the elements that influenced his paintings.

Gwen Buchanan said...

openings always make me feel uncomfortable.