Monday 16 January 2023

Blue Monday (or not)

In case you did not know, today is Blue Monday. Allegedly the most depressing day of the year. Of course, this is according to pseudo-scientific considerations, so for me it is pure hogwash. Not that I never felt dow on a Monday in January and that I did not find it difficult in the past, but there are reasons why I find Mondays in January and Blue Monday in particular to be not too bad, all things considered. Here is a non-exhaustive list:

-I don't have to commute to go to work anymore.

-I don't hate my job. (Three years ago I might have felt differently about Blue Monday).

-I genuinely prefer January to June or July, especially if there is a heatwave. So I don't feel so down.

-I'm way over the post-Christmas blues at this point in the month.

-This year I only got back from leave last Monday, so this working month will be considerably shorter.

Therefore this Monday should not be too bad, touch wood. And worst case scenario... It would still be just a lousy Monday, just like any other lousy Monday you can have in a year.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Lots of things to celebrate!

Alison said...

Good post which begs the question “who thinks up this stuff anyway?”

Lady M said...

I think climate change is totally changing the whole winter is depressing narrative. Now summer is depressing.