Thursday 5 January 2023

Spy Meeting in Marlow

 I blogged about this particular subject back in 2019, but thought this would be the right time to blog about it again, sadly I miss the date by one day. Anyway, for those who read John Le Carré's first novel Call for the Dead,you may remember that protagonist George Smiley was summoned by letter to a meeting. The letter goes as follow:

"Dear George, 

    It is essential that I lunch with you tomorrow at The Compleat Angler at Marlow. Please do your best to meet me there at one o'clock. There is something I have to tell you.

Yours,

Samuel Fennan

The first funny thing is that I have been to The Compleat Angler in Marlow a couple of times. The other funny thing is that the letter by Fennan was dated on the 3rd of January, so the meeting would have been held yesterday the 4th. I wonder if The Compleat Angler was a place of pilgrimage for Le Carré's fans yesterday. Next time I go there or nearby, I will try to take a picture of the hotel.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

If "The Compleat Angler" is smart it would have capitalized on the reference to drum up business on January 4th!