Monday 5 August 2019

Old Peculier (a beer and a crime)

Sometimes you discover new things in the most unexpected times and places. So recently, I had decided to drink an Old Peculier from Theakston for my evening's poison. It is my kind of ale: dark (supposed to be rich ruby red, but on this picture it is almost black), strong flavoured, not too high in alcohol (at 5.6%, it is juuust below 6, so it does not taste too much of liqueur). It would more fitting for colder winter days, but hey, I was eager to rediscover it. Because I had the beer before, of that I am almost certain of. But since I drank a wide variety of beers in my twenty years in the UK, I cannot remember precisely all of them. Also, I was sometimes not sober enough to truly taste them.

So I was enjoying the beer when I saw that sign on the side of the bottle, next to the label: a bloody fingerprint and this statement: "sponsor of the old peculier crime writing festival".This Crime Writing Festival. Now how cool is that? I was not aware of its existence and from the website I see no mention of a 2019 edition and the previous ones seem to have been in July, so this does not look good, however if the Festival still exists I'd like to attend it one day, if it still goes on. Real ales and crime fiction, the Old Peculier Crime Writing Festival seems to be made for me.

No comments: