Tuesday 18 January 2011

I survived Blue Monday

A colleague told me this morning, right before getting to work, that yesterday was Blue Monday. I never heard about it before, or if I did I don't remember it, which is just as good. Blue Monday, also called (more appropriately I think) Black Monday, is supposed to be the most depressing day of the year and well, according to very serious scientific studies (ahem!) it was yesterday. I am happy I didn't know it: the temperature was rainy and miserable, it was dark grey all day, I was tired as I had not slept much the night before and overall it was long, long long and very depressing. I don't know how I got through it, but I did.

And what a difference a day makes! Today it was sunny and I did not feel that sinking feeling of melancholia. Maybe it should be called Recovery Tuesday. Anyway, Blue Monday might a very dubious concept, the Monday Feeling is still very real and yesterday it certainly looked like the most depressing day of the year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Google "Monday" songs sometime. I once needed a happy Monday song, but the are in short supply. It seems to me that most Mondays are blue if all the songs I sifted through are anything to go by. So: Blue Monday, Recovery Tuesday...could today be Wonderful Wednesday? I certainly hope so, and wish you one too :-)

The Gill-Man said...

I had no idea that there was such a thing, beyond the New Order song of the same name! While I was unaware of that...I'd have to say that Tuesday was a REALLY crappy day for me...far more so than Monday.

I'm not sure there is anything to the whole "Blue Monday" thing, outside of the fact that, in general, Mondays blow goats!