Tuesday 11 January 2011

The empty hours of January

Is it only me or isn't January a deadly boring month? I have been feeling tired every day of the week except the weekends (and even then) since it started, the weather is a mish mash of rain and not cold or warm enough temperature, everyday life is desperately uneventful and the nearest thing I am looking forward to will start in February! I wonder if I can survive that long the boredom of January, that longing pain that does not hurt enough. (And for the people who know about literature, I stole "the pain that does not hurt enough" from a famous play. Try to find which one without looking at my Shelfari on the right.)

I have not survived the social jet lag yet and I wonder if I will, I feel condemned to live with it. Of course, and more importantly, I feel utterly uninspired. I hate that feeling. Hopefully it will pass. Blogging is an activity that I enjoy a lot, no matter what time of the year and it is one of the few where I can be creative no matter what my particular circumstances are. I prefer to have little time to blog yet plenty of material for it, than plenty of time but nothing to blog about. A shame, as I had started this year so well.

I guess it is just temporary and I will find inspiration. This post is already quite long, after all. I might also try to resurrect this old idea of calling a muse every time I blog. But right now, I feel like all I am doing is passing through the empty hours of January.

7 comments:

The Gill-Man said...

It isn't just you. I hate January...and my birthday is in this month! In fact, I'm not really all that fond of February, and I absolutely detest March! Something about the winter, post Christmas, just seems so bleak and uninspired.

March is my least favorite, as it is a month that the weather just jumps all over the place. Rainy one day, cold the next, warm the next...I pretty much stay sick that entire month!

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Well misery loves company and I am here for the pity party my friends! Boo Hiss to January. My daughter was born this month and I can't think of a more depressing month to be born into the world. No offense to her or Gill. But it's Winter in general that I detest. However, I must say that I do love March. March in Florida is my favorite month. It's usually perfect in March, it's not warm yet, it's still cool in fact, but not too cold. Everything has greened up and the flowers are blooming. There's always a nice breeze that seems to blow a fresh new outlook in with it. And there is just something I love about St. Patrick's day. I feel at one with the fairy folk...you know with all those leprechauns running around and all...ha! ;o)

Cheer up Guilluame...January will be gone before you know it, and the Spring will fast approach making you forget all about it's dreariness. This too shall pass. :o)

The Gill-Man said...

Oh, I MUST clarify, I LOVE St. Patrick's Day! It is the one thing that gets me through March. Being of Irish descent, this is a holiday I've always taken great pride in. Wens mentioning that made me realize that I DID need to give props to the one thing I DO love about that month.

I dunno why, but March is always a rather bleh month around here. The weather is usually cold & rainy, for some reason. April usually sees a bit of a warm-up, but without getting too hot yet. I guess I'm just one who loves the "transitional" seasons of Spring and Fall. I dig cool, moderate temperatures, and I love to see the changes in nature.

Guillaume said...

Wow, this little post got quite popular! I am glad I am not alone. I have ambivalent feelings about March: it is the month of Saint Patrick's Day, the beginning of springtime, but often it is nasty and treacherous. I blogged about this month before. But January is a bland month, especially after December, especially here where there is no snow.

Oh, and I don't like April much when it is treacherous, and it is the month of my birthday. Now that I am in my thirties, I like it less!

suzanne said...

I've got to chime in here with my opinion of depressing months. I'm with Gill on this. March is the worst (except of course for St. Patrick's Day!). At least with January, you know what to expect: snow, darkness, and frigid temperatures. March is unpredictable, and not in a good way. Spring-like temperatures one day; snowstorms the next. Give me April or May. Or best of all, October. :)

Anonymous said...

The very worst month in my opinion is November...dark, rainy, horrible.

Guillaume said...

@Halloween Spirit-I don't dislike March nearly as much as January, mostly because of St-Patrick's Day. And, when it actually comes in March, Springtime.
@Anonymous-Yes, if I had to choose a month I hate it would probably be November. So depressing.