Sunday 5 September 2010

A mouse and an apple

This is one of the mice my parents-in-law have in their garden. I usually dislike mice, as they are cousins of rats, but I don't mind this one. I loved the wildlife in their back garden, even though they will probably lose many apples because of their lodgers' ravenous appetite. They have small apple trees, this one was accessible to this mouse, who did make a good use of its skills. I found it really cute. An image like this is worthy of Autumnwatch. I wish I could have videoed it and send it to the program. We were not technically in autumn yet (and we are still not), but I still find the image autumnal: a wild animal filling its belly with the fruit of the season, making reserves for the long cold days ahead.

3 comments:

suzanne said...

Great photo! It looks adorable. It's almost enough to make me like mice. :)

Guillaume said...

Thanks, I got lucky really. Yes, it almost made me like the whole species too.

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

What a great pic! We have squirrels that eat all our fruit. And they are bottomless pits too. They can devour an entire nectarine tree...makes me so mad because they won't let the fruit grow large enough to ripen.