Sunday 10 March 2024

Early Mother's Day

 It is Mother's Day today. Or rather it was, as it is late and well, pretty much over. Mother's Day in the UK comes in March, usually the third Sunday of the month. Or so I thought until now. That shows how little I still understand about the traditions of my country of adoption. For me, Mother's Dayhas always been a May thing. But anyway, this year it came earlier, because it's the fourth Sunday of Lent, apparently. So yeah, it came earlier and, to be honest, far too early for my taste. We didn't celebrate much, because we wanted to do house work. But as Wolfie was sick yesterday, we did not prepare anything at all, or indeed did much housework. Yet it might be fitting: being a parent is all about, well, being a parent, so taking care of our children when they are not well. So it was a fitting way to remind my wife that she is a mother.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Happy Mother's Day to your wife!

Alison said...

I'm like you, I prefer the North American date for Mother's Day and don't understand why its in March here. Father's Day is the same date as it is in N.A. so why the difference?