Friday 27 December 2019

The "real" Yule log

I had wanted to blog about it for a while, so I am doing it now, as it is still Christmas. You can see on this picture a real Yule log. I am not taking about the bûche de Noël cake, which we also have every Christmastime (two bûches in fact) but a proper log of wood, which we put in the fireplace at midnight exactly on Christmas morning. We also attach on this log pieces of paper where everyone of us has written a wish. The log is supposed to grant the wish within a year (or eventually). So far, it happened only once: my brother PJ had wished for a Pound Puppy as Christmas present, and he received it that very night. We had learned the tradition from one of our TV programs when we were children and we have made it our family tradition since then.

2 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

that is a wonderful tradition!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That's wonderful! I've heard of Yule logs, of course, but this is the first time I've heard of attaching paper wishes to it before lighting. Delightful!