Sunday 8 November 2009

Re-reading my notes

Today, when I was tidying the flat, I re-read my old lecture notes, the ones I made for the literature classes I was teaching. It struck me as it always does when I stumble on them: I was pretty damn good at it. I say this without any false modesty: it is something I have always been proud of, maybe more than anything else. I had strong analytical skills, as one of my old teachers used to say. It is sometimes I miss most of all, professionally: teaching literature. That was the time when I was at my best and when I felt I was most useful. Strange, as I did this for a relatively short period of time. I don't know if they will ever be useful again, but I put them all in a nice folder, just in case.

1 comment:

Gwen Buchanan said...

Re-reading those notes must have been quite an ego booster... kind of nice to be able to pat our own selves on the back once in a while!!! good for you!!!