Wednesday 9 February 2011

A circle of friends

In two weeks time, I will start my acting class again. It will be about time: I am counting the days. I noticed tonight that I did not get in contact with any of my acting acquaintances (I call them acquaintances as they are not friends yet) since our dinner in January. I tried to call one of them tonight, the guy who played the father of my "fiancée" in A Marriage Proposal. I didn't get through. Oh well, it is difficult to stop being a hermit. Acting provides me with the only proper social life I have.

I find it a bit sad, we gather once and we promise to meet again, to have another evening like this, that we should do it more often, etc. Then nothing happens. It is a difficult thing to develop, friendship, it can also be even harder to maintain. I haven't made friends easily since my students years and I don't think I ever made friends among my colleagues, at any job I had, even the ones I loved. Back in Liverpool, I got along well with some housemate, I developed friendship with them, but with my colleagues, never. Nothing lasting anyway: during my last school job I had very good reports with my colleagues and I left on very good terms with them, but we never met once after I left. My social circle, I make it around like minded people, people who share the same enthusiasm about something. In a way, I never ceased to be a student at heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People come into our lives for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. But whichever it is relationships of any sort are about keeping in touch, and keeping promises. They say we live in a 'global village'. But our modern lifestyles don't resemble that type of community at all. We live so near to each other but so very far apart. Its rather sad. I think that your experience is not unusual. We all say 'lets get together', 'I will phone you soon', but so often its just lip service. We get caught up in ourselves, and so easily forget these words. I am guilty of that too. Time to do some phoning, and keep in touch. Thank you Guillaume for sharing such honest thoughts. Sometimes it takes reading something like this to remind ourselves of what we need to pay attention to.