Thursday 24 February 2011

My "lazy" English

I had my acting class last night. I will not blog too much about it, promise. Well, anyway I had it and it was, as usual, great. It will be very centered around voice work, which I find a bit sad as I love the physicality of acting, but I do need to work on my voice and well, my accent. I blogged about my accent before. I read a poem twice, the first time was so-so, the second time was great. But I do sound foreign. My teacher said that I had a very good but "lazy" English. It was a back handed compliment, I think. She asked if I spoke French at home (I very rarely do). Anyway, I need to eliminate some parts of my accent, at least for the stage (or, in that case, for recording): the "th" which I pronounce "d" like all Quebeckers, for instance. I could get away with it before as I was playing a Russian character, but this time I will have to play a native English speaker (wish I could play an alienated guy from Chicoutimi). So I need to get something more akin to an English accent, which I never managed to get in more than ten years here. My teacher said that I can easily correct my diction in two months. Interesting challenge, getting rid of my lazy English.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vraiment, comptes-toi chanceux. Moi j'ai perdu l'accent et les Anglais pensent que je suis Irlandaise. J'aimerais bien qu'ils me percoivent comme une Quebecoise! Ma culture est invisible aux autres.

Guillaume said...

Hey, merci de commenter et de suivre mon blogue! Je t'envie si tu as réussi à avoir l'accent irlandais. Et je crois comprendre que tu vis à Liverpool alors je t'envie encore plus! J'y ai vécu un an.