Friday 11 February 2011

Longing for Liverpool

I was reminded of this by my wife tonight: it has been two years today since I have been to Liverpool. Well, not quite, as we were between Liverpool and Manchester at that exact day, for the birthday of a former housemate and friend, but last time I was in Liverpool was about two years ago. Strange, I heard the name today at work and I felt the longing, but did not make the connection to the time that passed.

So this night two years ago, we celebrated my friend's birthday and strangely enough drank relatively little. Then on the 15th I spent the day walking around the city. I blogged about it, if you are curious. Now from time to time, I feel the need to reconnect to Liverpool, to keep in touch with what I lived there and what I left. It is the trivial details I miss: going up a hill to work, down from it back from work, stopping at a pub to try a local ale, the gin and tonic my housemate was making, the wind, the rain... Yes, I mentioned all this before. And even earlier on, when this blog was still young. I discovered that I miss it tonight. I need to go on another Odyssey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The wonderful thing about happy memories is that they often sustain us during darker times, but also that we are free to go wandering back through them, revisiting them at will. They can never be taken away. I hope that you take that trip sometime. It is hard to ignore voices from the past, especially when they sing so loudly to us of happy times. I hope that it remains the city of those memories you write about so beautifully here.