Saturday 6 April 2024

Heart ofthe Hunter (#1)

So I finally watched Netflix's movie adaptation of South African writer Deon Meyer's Heart of the Hunter. I enjoyed it a lot, even though it was freely adapted from the novel, which I was expecting anyway. The source material is a lot about the ghosts of Apartheid, so it had to be updated. All the same, it is solid crime fiction and a spy thriller just as much, with some top quality acting and a solid plot. Which I think was also partially inspired from other Meyer's novels. And according to Deon Meyer: "Heart of the Hunter has achieved the incredible feat of clocking No. 1 in English-language films on the Netflix Top 10 weekly rankings - the first African film to do so!" Deservedly so, I must say. I hope there is a sequel to it, or that it become the first films of a franchise. One can hope.

1 comment: