Monday 15 April 2024

The Belle of Belfast City

You might know this song as I'll Tell Me Ma and I know I shared it before. I first heard it in a pub in Liverpoolon Saint Paddy's and I fell in love with it. Of course, as it is often called The Belle of Belfast City, I listened to it prior to and during our holiday in Belfast. Wolfie now knows some of the lyrics and has been humming it for the last few days. Ironically enough, I haven't heard much if any Irish music during our time there. I'm sharing the version by Possibly Irish, an American group from Oregon, because I quite like it. And also because I'm possibly Irish myself, sort of. I want to blog into more details about it, but apparently, some of my ancestors were Ulster Scots, so it is very possible that among my great, grandmothers, there were a few belles of Belfast City. I'd like to think so, ayway.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Haven't heard this song in donkey's years!