Thursday 18 April 2024

Guinness and Patience

 I have a painful confession to make: during our holidays in Belfast, I barely drank any Guinness. That said, while it was my go-to beer when I was in my twenties, I seldom drink Guinness nowadays, except on Saint Paddy's. But there were plenty of other brands of beer to drink (I will come back to them in future posts) and well, so little time. But drinking Guinness I did: the very last day, waiting for our flight. Only half a pint, which is shameful, but I would rather not drink too much when traveling. So I err on the side of caution. The barmaid took my order, filled the glass, twice, to let the beer set. I am not expect on Guinness' pouring method, but she sums it up like this: "You need to have patience with a Guinness." Which deserves to be a new great unknown line. "Good things come to those who wait," as their old advertisement slogan said. I will keep that in mind next time I drink one.