Saturday 23 January 2010

To go "useful" shopping

I had to go to a gardening shop today, hoping to find some "useful" purchases. I don't like "useful" shops, by that I mean tool shops, gardening shops, cleaning products shops and other shops where they sell things that are not entertaining. This is not how I like to spend my Saturday. I have an uncle, who goes to Canadian Tire (of all places!) when he gets bored during weekends. And when he gets bored again, he goes back during the very same day. At least there were electric trains on display (and on sale) in the gardening center I went to. I didn't buy any, but it was nice to see, even though they were not as nice as the family one. It is not like visiting a museum, but it is entertaining enough.

Anyway, after successful but tiresome "useful" shopping (including clothes shopping, a torture in itself, especially when you are a glorified clothes hanger), I managed to convince my wife to stop at Waterstone's to buy some books. That was more like it. Sometimes the only purchases worth making are the useless ones.

3 comments:

Gwen Buchanan said...

Are you kidding!!!
Books are the MOST USEFUL of all... The very best of All...

I am definitely not a shopper... but I consider bringing books home a Necessity!

Guillaume said...

I understand and I agree. I was thinking about what Oscar Wilde said, "all art is quite useless" when I wrote that.

Gwen Buchanan said...

yes, Oscar was a one of a kind!!