Tuesday 23 February 2010

A Greek feeling

I don't know if it's the fact that we ate in a Greek restaurant last weekend (it was average), my wife and I, or because some of the characters of season 2 of The Wire are Greeks (and well, there is also Pelecanos), or maybe it is because there are the winter Olympic Games right now, but I have been in a Greek mood these days. We were talking about it in the restaurant last time, and we thought it would be nice to go to Greece together one day. We have a special connection with Greece, so it would be a natural holiday destination. I am in the mood for spanakopita, authentic feta, ouzo, Mediterranean climate and some serious rediscovery of Greek myths, history and culture. This state of mind might disappear before Saint-Patrick's Day. It better be, because where I am, it looks like everything but Mediterranean climate.

On the left, you can see a picture taken in the Butchart Gardens on our last trip to Vancouver. Actually, to be more precise, the gardens are in Victoria, on Vancouver Island, not the city, which is on the mainland. Still with me? It is a statue of Hermes, and yes, it is also a cheap excuse to put here a picture from our latest holidays. Since I don't have any authentic Greek sculpture, this one will do just as well.

4 comments:

Mozart's Girl said...

Hi Guillaume, thanks for visiting my blog! I have actually met Cate Blanchett - I see she is listed in your interests! She is the most beautiful, incandescent person I have ever seen in my life! Glad to meet another Mozart afficionado, keep reading! There will be more...Rachel xo

tattytiara said...

Greece is very much one of the top places on my must see list, if for no other reason than to see that beautiful blue sea!

As for where I found your blog, I can just say through someone else's blog, but whose could be anybody's guess. I tend to fall down the rabbit hole following links when I start reading blogs and lose all sense of where I am or came from!

Guillaume said...

@Mozart's Girl-Thanks for dropping by. I am dying of jealousy that you met Cate Blanchett. She is my favourite actress, bare none. And I see we have lots in common, not only admiration for Cate Blanchett and Mozart, but also some favourite movies, including "Some Like It Hot". You will find some posts about this very movie here, I blogged them recently. There is also another post on Marilyn Monroe.
@tattytiara-I found out how you got to me: through Jazz's blog. my wife went to Greece in 2004 for the Olympics, she has been wanting to go back since then.

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Greece is on my bucket list as well! There is just something so very enchanting about those little white houses and the gazillion steps leading up to them. And I do love me some Greek food. I could eat my weight in feta cheese and lamb. But my favorite thing is Saganaki! Oh how I adore that stuff...the more lemon the better. I love most cheese but this has to be one of the yummiest! Opa! :o)