Saturday 13 February 2010

The voice of Marilyn Monroe

I promised it on this post, so I am keeping my promise and putting I Wanna Be Loved By You on this blog. As Valentine's Day is coming, I might as well put a love song, this one I particularly love for many reasons, one of them being its simplicity. Of all the movies of Marilyn Monroe, Some Like It Hot is probably my favourite. Not only is it funny, it is also intelligent and has really good musical numbers that fits in the plot smoothly, never getting in its way but completing it (see how Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon dialogue blend in this extract), setting a perfect atmosphere. It's a comedy with music, but it is not a musical comedy. And of course there is the voice of Marilyn Monroe itself. We sometimes forget that Marilyn Monroe was not only a sex symbol of the 50s (I mused on this particular aspect here), she was also a brilliant, natural comedy actress with a beautiful voice. In her singing roles, I think her voice was half the charm, something we lose in her non singing roles. This is what I hope you can appreciate here.

1 comment:

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Some Like It Hot is my fav Monroe flick too....love it!