Saturday 10 September 2022

Guerilla Wargames

 Today, we went to the birthday party of one of Wolfie's best friends. I am always a bit wary going to big children birthday parties, they can be fun, they can be boring and everything in-between. This one ended up quite fun. The hosting family had prepared a room for a battle game, with Nerf Guns and ammo a plenty. And also goggles for security. Wolfie was not sure at first, seeing the shooting. I think he thought it was a bit daunting. The father of the birthday boy tried to divide the children between two teams, one blue and one orange, but it didn't catch on. Not until after the lunch, when the kids were more relaxed, didn't care about the rules of engagement one bit and a bunch of teenagers (friends of the birthday boy's big sister) decided to play too. I loaded Wolfie's gun, explained how to pump it and shoot and... I joined in too. We decided to target the teenagers, I thought they can take it and won't get hurt as much as the children might. We had lots of fun and the teenagers were good sports. I think we won the war, but maybe that's just me. Anyway, I said it before and I will say it again: being the father of a boy allows me to live a second childhood.

No comments: