Wednesday 6 August 2014

A lesson of geography

Today, one of my colleagues was thinking aloud, mumbling something about Montreal and Vancouver, I think she was tired as she said in her mumbles: "Vancouver's in Montreal?" I am always surprised to see how people can confuse East and West of Canada, although this time it was due to a busy day. Anyway, I thought it was a moment to improvise a quick crash course in geography so I said: "Vancouver is not in Montreal, or even nearby, Montreal is on the East side, Vancouver on the West. Do not confuse Vancouver Island , where Victoria (the capital city of British Columbia) is, and Vancouver the city, which is not on Vancouver Island, but opposite to it, on the continent. Montreal, however, is both an island and a city, the city of Montreal being on the island of Montreal." Pretty good I thought. I made her and other colleagues laugh anyway.

And I know it is more a soliloquy than a single sentence, but I still consider it worthy of a great unknown line. So I am adding it to the list.

4 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

most people know so little of canada. it seems to be the great unknown.it drives me crazy when people say...qweebek. i just heard it on the news recently. but then a local newscaster pronounced rude yard kipling this way yesterday and no one corrected her. ugh!

Nellie said...

Such a good thing to know the geography of your home country! It isn't unusual to find a lack of basic knowledge of one's own country.

Thank you for your visits and comments to my blog. The business I featured today would be more than happy to help you take care of your wardrobe needs.:-)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hahahaha, yes, jaz, qweebek! Another goodie is cuebek!

Cynthia said...

J'adore en France quand on me dit que le Québec n'est pas au Canada ... il est à part!