Thursday 15 September 2011

Autumn lights and shadows

Here is another seasonal post. I will try to vary a bit, but I have to use circumstances. About a week ago, I mentioned that it was feeling and looking like autumn. It is true of the evenings: as I am typing this it is already dark outside. And we are not eight o'clock yet. That time of the evening, we call it in Québec "entre chien et loup", "between a dog and a wolf". It has a deliciously sinister tone. Perfect time to read ghost stories, which I will do tonight if I can.

When shadows are getting taller and the temperature drops,one appreciates more staying inside and enjoying the comfort of home. I used to feel cabin feverish here, not so much now. Not in the evening anyway. Some people find it sad that the days are getting shorter, but I don't mind at all. Autumn is the season of comfort and it is so with its displays of lights and shadows: daylights are never as agressive in autumn and darkness is calming in the evening. And I don't wake up ridiculously early because the bedroom is bright as if it was midday! So I enjoy these early evenings.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

If only my home was comfortable !