Saturday 23 May 2009

Summer, morning, work and other topics

No, I did not take this picture from my current window, it s picture my brother took from the window of my old apartment in Montreal. I put it here just because it looks summery enough and because I miss Montreal (I hope I don't sound like a broken record).

I am on holiday today, for a week. I am glad, it was time, work was getting to me. I think I sometimes get slightly bored out. My job is very good on long term, for my future career, but it is not exactly a challenging one. I also have the impression that I often get bossed around by teachers who might have experience working in a school, but do not have my education. I like most of my colleagues (some I even admire), but a few (very few) of them just are getting to me these days, more than the students ever could. They do nothing to get angry or to declare open war, it is just the dismissive attitude and overall coldness. The worst thing is that I don't know why they have this attitude and what I could have done (or not done) to offend them. I know I am not the only teacher to get this treatment, so I should not take it personally. It can still spoil my day. Nevertheless, I work in a time where unemployment is high, so I am not complaining. There is always time for anger later.

Anyway, I am on holidays, so I should be happy. It is beautiful outside and summer seems to be here at last. I woke up at 7:45 this morning. I have never been a morning person, I am more of a night owl. Years at university made me spend many sleepless nights trying to finish a paper or my thesis. I also find night to be the best time to read. But my new job turned my cycle upside down and I now wake up early even at weekends. So I have to learn to appreciate daytime for longer. It makes sense, as morning comes early and evening arrives late.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

That is literally just teachers. Both myself and Adrian get treated appallingly at all the schools we have worked in. It's a power trip that the teachers get because they think you are lower down as you are not a "proper" teacher. They think they are amazing and no one knows more than they do. One of the many reasons I don't want to be a teacher, I can't work with them!

Guillaume said...

well, not all of my colleagues get on my nerves, just some of them, including some T.A.s, who should not consider themselves superior as they have the same job as me. I think, but it is just an hypothesis, that it is a question of education: a lot of them have close to zilch and seem to resent those who did long studies. As long as they don't try to stygmatise me, I can live with the cold shoulder, but they better not make me angry. I don't care what they think they are or are worth, I can roar.

Jazz said...

Me semblait aussi que c'était pas un balcon britannique ça...

Laisse les pas te faire chier.

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Being a night owl myself...I've read a lot on this, and it says that night owls who have to adjust to a daytime schedule for their work, often suffer as a result. Apparently, even though you can force yourself to get up earlier...your biological time clock still governs your sleep patterns. I'm always reading interesting studies on this, as I am a horrible night owl myself. I would even suspect myself to be a bit of a Vampire, if blood didn't horrify me so...ha! I feel your pain!

Oh..and sorry those people at work are getting you down. Try not to give them that power. They can only get to you, if you let them. :o)